s FLiDAR WindSentinel
AXYS FLiDAR (Floating LiDAR) WindSentinel systems accurately measure wind speed and wind direction offshore at turbine hub-height and across the blade span for cost-effective wind resource assessments.
- 20 commercial deployments for FLiDAR systems globally
- 16 offshore met mast validations
- Data-as-a-Service solution provides reliable and cost effective data collection
- World’s only dual-LiDAR configuration signficantly reduces risk of data outage
- Multiple redundant power supply systems, ensuring long-term operation in the event of failure of one system
- Fail-over telemetry systems ensuring consistent access to the buoy systems and data
- Supports both ZephIR and WINDCUBE LiDARs
- 4-metre polyethylene hull or 6-metre aluminum NOMAD hull options
s Maritime Domain Awareness
Maritime domain awareness means having timely information about everything on, under, related to, adjacent to, or bordering a sea, ocean or other navigable waterway that could impact security, safety, the economy or the environment. This includes all related activities, infrastructure, people, cargo, vessels, or other means of transport. For marine security, it means being aware of anything in the marine domain that could threaten a country’s national security. And with over 90% of the world’s trade transported by sea, it is more critical than ever to operate secure maritime operations.
Maritime domain awareness improves marine security by:
- Quickly identifying actual or potential events
- Making informed decisions
- Taking effective action
- Sharing knowledge with appropriate partners
AXYS offers a networked data solution to manage the specific monitoring requirements of a port security system for maritime domain awareness. Utilizing the WatchMan500 network solution and AXYS’ Data Management System (DMS) software, a complete operational picture of the maritime domain can be provided to the ports’ operational centre for the purposes of command and control. AXYS offers secure data hosting services to clients and can provide the information needed to the ports’ operational centre for real time decisions related to the maritime domain.
s TRIAXYS Mini Wave Buoy
The TRIAXYS™ Mini Directional Wave Buoy is a precision instrument incorporating advanced technologies that make it an easy to use, rugged, and economical buoy for accurate measurement of directional waves. This small (0.6m diameter) and lightweight (60kg) buoy is easily deployed by two people from virtually any size of vessel.
- Provides continuous wave sampling, support for any telemetry, up to 10 Hz motion sampling and up to 32GB (>5 years) of data logging capacity.
- Uses TRIAXYS™ Next Wave II sensor, comprised of three accelerometers, three rate gyros, a fluxgate compass, and the proprietary TRIAXYS™ Processor.
- The WatchMan500™ payload integrates sensor systems and provides onboard data processing, data logging, telemetry, and diagnostic/set up routines.
- Wave and sea surface temperature data are collected, processed and logged on the buoy and then transmitted via telemetry to a base station hosting AXYS Data Management System software.
- Standard mooring configurations specially designed for wave buoys are available for water depths greater than 150m.
- A variety of telemetry options are available, including UHF/VHF, Inmarsat IsatData Pro, Iridium and GPRS/HSPA.
s Repairs & RMA
AXYS can coordinate the logistics required to service or repair systems, and can also provide annual service contracts to help mitigate any downtime due to system wear over time. Depending on the nature of the work, service can be performed in the field or at our manufacturing facility.
A service and production laboratory is located at AXYS’ head office in Sidney, B.C. Canada. These facilities are capable of repairing all of our manufactured instrumentation. Modifications or repairs to any of the aluminum buoys are easily accommodated at nearby fabricators. Should your AXYS equipment require repair or assessment, please contact our Customer Service Department for assistance with the return of equipment (RMA).
Over the lifetime of a buoy or met system, components and sensors will need to be replaced. AXYS can provide spares on request and/or advice on spares to keep in stock to minimize the risk of downtime.
As part of continuous improvements and updates to our technology, the following products have been discontinued:
- TRIAXYS Classic Sensor
- TRIAXYS Next Wave Sensors
- Customers who require a new wave measurement sensor can purchase the TRIAXYS g3 sensor (includes the WatchMan500 controller). TRIAXYS g3 produces dedicated wave statistics for up to three configurable frequency spectrums in real time, compresses data for optimized messages, and consumes 70% less power than the TRIAXYS Next Wave sensor, while maintaining the same accuracy and resolution specifications.
- The data sheet is available here: TRIAXYS g3 Sensor
- The WatchMan100 controller is used in historic AXYS systems including wave & met buoys, Land Stations, Aviation Weather Stations (AWOS) and Automated Voluntary Observing Ships (AVOS) systems.
- Customers who require a new controller can purchase the WatchMan500 Controller. Initially launched in 2005, it is an intelligent, configurable and expandable sensor I/O platform with two-way communications designed for extended use in remote and rugged environments.
For Repairs & Technical Inquiries
Call us direct or fill in the form below
Phone: +1 (877) 792-7878
s Operations & Maintenance
The AXYS Service Team employs senior field technicians that understand AXYS systems intimately and have over 60 years of combined oceanographic and operational experience. These technicians are capable of board level diagnostics/repair in the field, and individual electronic component level diagnostics/repair in the lab. AXYS can coordinate the logistics required to service or repair systems, and can also provide annual service contracts to help mitigate any downtime due to system wear over time. Depending on the nature of the work, service can be performed in the field or at our manufacturing facility.
Remote Technical Support
The Customer Service department can provide remote technical support for clients (phone, email and system remote access). Depending on the telemetry used, an AXYS technician may have remote access to a system to diagnose, troubleshoot, and change configuration from our corporate office. Where telemetry does not permit remote access, other options exist to access a deployed system with the help of customers. , (i.e. TCP connection to a customer DMS installation).
The AXYS facility is certified by the National Research Council of Canada to provide wave instrument calibration for government run/regulated programs.
s Deployment / Installation
AXYS field technicians deploy buoys and install land stations in many different environments around the world. AXYS advises clients on the logistics requirements, such as vessels, cranes, forklifts, and work sites, depending on the type of system being deployed or installed. Field technicians will work with local personnel to carry out all the tasks necessary to ensure the system is operating to specification and provide guidance to vessel crew to ensure it is safely deployed. Deployment of a buoy typically involves delivery of the system to its operating location, deployment of the mooring, and final deployment check of the system once installed.
s Custom Projects
Many of AXYS’ standard products are customized to meet the client’s specific monitoring requirements, however occasionally AXYS gets a request for an altogether new monitoring solution that requires an innovative custom design.
Following a thorough analysis of the project’s monitoring requirements, AXYS will design a system that meets all the criteria. Rigorous project management and quality assurance methodology are followed according to an established process in order to ensure that the final system meets the client’s needs. The AXYS Services team is able to provide training on every system delivered, as well as commissioning and deployment assistance.
Examples of some custom monitoring solutions include:
Wave Energy Testing Instrumentation Buoy
To help Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center at Oregon State Univeristy reach their goal of an offshore mobile wave energy testing facility, AXYS partnered with them to design a new buoy – the Ocean Sentinel Instrumentation buoy. AXYS engineers worked with NNMREC staff to develop this custom buoy system that interfaces with numerous custom control and monitoring devices, as well as basic meteorological and oceanographic parameters. The system also provides real time communications that monitor all aspects of the system performance.
Sub-Surface Environmental Monitoring
AXYS has provided sub-surface environmental monitoring systems for a variety of challenging marine environments. With an array of sensors, including temperature, dissolved oxygen, and water chemistry, data can be transmitted to a surface buoy for processing using an acoustic modem or an inductive mooring line. Two-way communication capabilities allow remote system management, including configuration and diagnostics of both the buoy and the mooring components. Sub-surface moorings are easily recovered using acoustic releases, which can be triggered at any time, allowing the instrumentation to float to the top and leaving the anchor on the seabed.
Other examples of custom projects:
- HydroLevel Buoy for NAVOCEANO – portable and flexible GPS buoy for water level measurement
- Arctic Lake Monitoring System – year-round monitoring of arctic lakes using a buoy and sub-surface mooring.
- Water Quality Buoy for Environment Canada – automated water quality data collection.
- WatchMan500 for University of New Hampshire – detect, model and forecast changes in the ecosystem.
The AXYS Services Department is focused on providing customers with world-class service that supports their unique needs. We take pride in listening to our customers and providing thorough field and technical support to ensure their systems are operating to their full capacity.
The AXYS Services Department consists of field technicians and project coordinators with over 60 years of combined experience that can support AXYS products and applications in any geographical location and in challenging environmental conditions. Whether it is commissioning a system, conducting a training session, assisting in deployment, consulting on mooring design, performing repairs, answering technical questions, or assisting with spares or replacement parts procurement, the AXYS Services Department is here to help. Customer success with our products is the focus of the AXYS Services Department.
Telemetry and data hosting, management, and reporting services are available as a hassle-free solution to collect, track, and understand environmental data. AXYS takes care of these services so that customers can focus on their environmental data.
AXYS systems are complex, integrated systems that are used in a variety of applications and environments. While they are very robust and specifically designed to survive difficult environmental conditions and a variety of hazards, they do require a level of investment to ensure proper use and successful operation over the years. To help keep this investment to a minimum and get the most out of your AXYS environmental monitoring system, we recommend some best practices. These include new user training, AXYS commissioning and deployment assistance, scheduled routine maintenance, and AXYS data hosting.
Contact the AXYS Services Department to learn more or get assistance with your system(s).
Phone: +1 (250) 655-5850 or +1 (778) 792-7878
s Offshore Wind Resource Assessment
The need for accurate offshore wind data is growing rapidly worldwide. Wind farm developers and financers understand that accurate wind data is critical to the overall success of the site, not only in assessing the potential power of the location, but also in the positioning of the wind turbines.
The traditional approach for gathering wind data is to construct a meteorological mast equipped with anemometers. However, in the offshore environment this practice is both difficult and expensive to implement. Floating LiDAR technology is an innovative solution to these problems. The AXYS FLiDAR WindSentinel™ buoys use a LiDAR to measure wind at turbine hub-height to provide accurate and reliable data on wind speed, wind direction, and turbulence. Additional sensors can be integrated onto the buoy to achieve a full environmental assessment of the location.
s Metocean Monitoring
Metocean monitoring is an important field of study for many applications including, weather forecasting, climate studies, operations & safety, resource assessment, maritime safety and marine domain awareness, among others.
Typical ocean and coastal monitoring buoys gather data on wind speed and direction, waves, currents, atmospheric pressure, air temperature, water temperature, and relative humidity to measure a variety of meteorological, oceanographic and water quality parameters. Data is acquired, processed, logged and transmitted via radio, cellular, or satellite telemetry to the end user. Many buoys provide the dual function of automated weather station and navigational aid. Deployments can be in various locations, from calm, shallow waterways to 5,000m depths in open ocean. Buoys are typically powered by solar panels and rechargeable batteries, which enable them to remain deployed for long periods of time.
AXYS offers a variety of metocean buoy systems to meet specific monitoring requirements and environmental conditions. Custom mooring design, telemetry communications, and data hosting services are available, as well as commissioning and deployment from our experienced services team.