Cloud IoT Database Engineer
AXYS Technologies (AXYS) is a global leader in developing innovative technologies for a variety of marine focused applications including offshore wind resource assessment, real-time weather forecasting, and environmental monitoring from the tropics to the poles. With over 40 years of experience in the design, manufacture, remote operational management and service of these advanced oceanographic environmental monitoring systems, we have a dedicated team that has a passion for innovation and growth. Located in beautiful Sidney, British Columbia, AXYS is one of Vancouver Island’s most sought after career choices and offers competitive compensation and benefits to its staff.
The Product Development department requires a talented Cloud IoT Database Engineer for a term contract at our office in Sidney, BC. You will work within a highly talented and motivated team to develop sophisticated environmental monitoring systems for projects world-wide.
- Advise on the selection of appropriate storage and database technologies for a new, cloud native data pipeline managing large scale, globally distributed buoy networks.
- Data model design and deployment of a Time Series database for storing real-time IoT sensor data distributed across the globe.
- Develop appropriate database models and schema optimized for performance and real-time applications.
- Write complex stored procedures and ETL jobs.
- Educate team in Time Series and NoSQL database technologies.
- Perform capacity planning and database monitoring in collaboration with other cloud engineers and IT.
- Must have a deep understanding of a variety database technologies including SQL, NoSQL, and Time Series databases.
- Must have experience with at least one Time Series and one NoSQL database.
- Must have experience with administering PostgreSQL, MySQL, or MariaDB.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English).
- Willingness to take responsibility and driven to meet deadlines.
- Great work ethic and the ability to work closely with a team or independently.
- Commands excellent problem solving and deduction skills.
- 5+ years of experience working with SQL databases.
- 2+ years of experience working with NoSQL databases.
- 1+ years of experiences working with Time Series databases.
- Experience deploying and monitoring SQL, NoSQL, and Time Series databases on a major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, or Azure).
- Demonstratable experience building database models and schema.
- Extensive experience writing complex stored procedures.
- Knowledge of Python.
- Experience with a version control system such as Git or SVN.
- Knowledge of database scaling and sharding techniques.
- Ability to write clear technical documentation and maintainable code.
Other Desirable Skills
- Working knowledge of at least one of the following:
- C#, Java, Go
- Experience working as part of an Agile team.
- Experience writing tests and working with continuous integration tools.
- Experience with data visualization tools.
- Experience with business intelligence tools.
- Knowledge of ETL pipeline principles.
- Experience with AWS Kinesis or GCP Dataflow.
How to Apply
If your skills and capabilities match the requirements of the above position, send your resume with references and a cover letter outlining your expectations, goals and related experience relevant to your co-op office.
No phone calls please.
NOTE: Although we thank all applicants for their submissions, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
See our website for further details:www.axystechnologies.com